What to Do if the Council Not Doing Repairs: A Comprehensive Guid

Living in a council house that needs repairs can be frustrating, especially if the council is not addressing the issues. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the steps you can take if you find yourself in the situation where the council fail to do repairs to your home.

Local Authority not doing repairs


Step 1: Document Everything

Keep a detailed record of all the disrepair issues in your home. Take pictures or videos, write down when the problem started, and track any communication you have with the council about these issues. You can use the free Property Krowd app to achieve this.


Step 2: Report the Problems

If you haven’t done so already, report the repair problems to your council. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible and include any evidence you’ve gathered. Send your report by email or letter so there’s a written record of it.


Step 3: Escalate the Issue

If the council is not doing repairs after you’ve reported the problems, you can escalate the issue. This could mean contacting your local councillor, filing a complaint with the council, or reaching out to a housing ombudsman.


Step 4: Seek Legal Advice When Council Not Doing Repairs

If you’ve taken all the above steps and the council is still not doing repairs, it might be time to seek legal advice. You may be entitled to make a claim for disrepair. This can force the council to carry out the repairs and may even result in compensation for you.

Conclusion: Council Not Doing Repairs ? - Stand Up for Your Rights

Remember, if you’re living in a council property, you have a right to live in a home that’s safe and in good repair. If the council are ignoring repairs, don’t be afraid to take the necessary steps to enforce your rights.

Follow our latest activity on your prefered social platform:

Benchmark Landlord Performance

Claim access to your asset intelligence to ensure you have the important information used to measure the performance of landlords and their homes.